please the first paragraph summarize the an american childhood story i attached in the files and support it by a by a big idea and a strong thesis from any experience and the 3 rest of the body paragraph write a story that connects to the big idea. please follow the requirements
Answer the question below:
-Stein writes in the beginning of The Making of Americans, that “we have the privilege to be real Americans.” What do you think that means to Stein?
Link to The Making of Americans: (Only reading section 1 not all 10)
For this first discussion board, think critically about not only the content of Columbus’s letters but also the purposes. As your textbook ex-plains in the “Beginnings” section, discovery is complex act and notion.
1. Compare Christopher Columbus’s descriptions of the islands’ plants, natural features, and native inhabitants in the two letters included in our textbook.
2. Consider what political project or purpose each letter was intended to serve. For example, why might Columbus insist that “Española is a marvel” in the first letter, and then portray it as an “exhausted,” unhealthy place populated by “cruel savages” in his later account?
( I do not need any source references since this is only a discussion and I do not need more than half a page. )
-Below, I have attached both textbooks needed.
Choose TWO of the three prompts below to respond to. Each weekly discussion board consists of three steps: 1) Your first post should be at least 300 words and is due by Friday, 2 September at 11:59pm. 2) Then reply to at least TWO classmates’ posts by Sunday, 4 September at 11:59pm. Both reply posts should be at least 150 words. 3) Finally, make a final summative post of about 150 words that responds to any comments and/or questions made to your initial post by Monday, 5 September at 11:59pm. While you do not need to take into account all peer replies within your thread, try at least to respond to the main points or pulse of the conversation there.
**For this first week in particular, please closely review the discussion board guidelines and rubric in the orientation module before participating in this discussion board. It is crucial that you understand the expectations of this assignment before making posts. While I will be providing ample feedback for the first few weeks, the more you know about the format, style and content expectations, the better off you will be!
1) Creation Stories: Read comparatively and consider the main features in the Iroquois and Navajo stories alongside accounts from other cultures. What differences stand out? For instance, how do such stories promote a worldview in conflict with, or at least markedly different from, a Judeo-Christian or other worldview?
2) Columbus: Compare the tone, imagery and content of Columbus’s 1493 letter with his 1503 letter. What are some key differences you notice? How do these letters inform or change your perspective of American culture and/or history?
3) Should we consider any of these texts as “American literature” given that they predate any notion of America and do not count as literature in a conventional sense? Why/why not? And, in particular, why might it be important or beneficial to read these creation stories alongside Columbus’s letters of discovery?
You are comparing the Ethos, Pathos, and Logos of Dr. King to that of Malcolm X. You will choose which you believe is stronger and provide evidence based on their speeches “The Ballot and the Bullet and I Have a Dream. Your essay should be Times New Roman, size 12 font, and double-spaced.
Essay 1 Writing Prompt:
Summarizing an Argument
For this assignment, you will be summarizing a complex argument for a reader who is unfamiliar with the text you choose. It is your goal to accurately and effectively summarize the argument so that the reader can fully understand it without actually reading the primary text. It is important to note that you are not making a judgment call in this assignment. Your goal is to provide an accurate, fair and thorough summary of the argument.
Make sure that the argumentative text you choose to discuss is appropriate in length/substance for the assignment. As we will discuss in class, the term text in this case applies to a variety of genres/media: you’re able to utilize Ted Talks, speeches, and/or social media posts, as well as traditional articles, etc. Remember that an argument takes a clear stance on a position in a divisive or divided conversation or issue; the text you choose needs to do so as well. General overviews of a topic or news reports/articles will not work for this assignment.
Final publish: 2 pages (excluding works cited page)
Using Oedipus the King by Sophocles, write a 1- 1 ½ page response to the following questions: Discuss the setting of the play. What is the issue that the community is dealing with? How is Oedipus depicted in the opening pages and through his interaction with Teiresias?
Make sure to include an introduction, which briefly sets up the play. In order to support your thesis, the body should contain at least 3 quotes from the play (with proper line citations) and your analysis of those lines. Also, include a conclusion, which ties together the supporting points you’ve made throughout the mini essay. This should be in a five paragraph format, with a proper introduction, supporting body paragraphs, and conclusion.
I submitted the Rubric for the One-Pager down below. You will see in the rubric that we have the option to write about three different stories, the story I would like you to write over is the one titled “The Yellow Wallpaper” The story (pdf) can be found online. The instructions for what my instructor is looking in the one-pager are attached to the rubric/ with the grading scale. Another thing is my instructor wants • “Page 1 is the actual paper, no less than 650 words. Feel free to reduce the margins below 1”
o Put your name and date in the actual header of the paper and ignore your style’s suggestions, like the MLA header, etc.
• Page 2 is the Works Cited pg. or the Bibliography pg. (depending on which style you select)”
Select one poem and one short story that you have read so far and write 500 word essay that compares and contrasts the themes of each. Discuss how each text uses literary devices (setting, symbol, conflict, point of view, etc.) to portray the themes you are comparing and contrasting.
What theme do you see in the “The Story of an Hour”? Write about how point of view in the story impacts the way you understand the theme.